Who are we? What makes us who we are? Such questions have such a deep meaning, finding an answer to them would take a lot more than introspection. Given the banality and routine of our lives, we neither have the time, nor the energy to explore the deepest parts of ourselves. While we would love to embark upon this thrilling journey into discovering our own selves, we choose to take the short cut – we end up focusing on our external appearance. How do we look? We focus on buying a host of cosmetics by major brands like:
- Olay (Olay Total Effects 7-in-1 Anti Aging Day Skin Cream Normal SPF15, 50g);
- L’Oreal (L’Oreal Paris Casting Creme Gloss, Dark Brown 400, 87.5g+72ml);
- Avon (Avon Imari Seduction Perfumed Skin Softener, 150g);
- Neutrogena (Biotique Bio Papaya Revitalizing Tan-Removal Scrub for All Skin Types, 75g);
- Nivea (Vaseline Intensive Care Deep Restore Body Lotion, 400ml (Save Rupees 120)) ; and
- Estee Lauder (Estee Lauder Revitalizing Supreme+ Global Anti Aging Cell Power Creme, 0.5 oz / 15 ml).
We do not stop at that. We want accessories like Armani Eyeglasses (GIORGIO ARMANI EYEGLASSES GA 513 0NKE HAVANA SAND) or a Zara jeans (Zara Man Men’s Distressed Straight Slim Fit Denim Jeans Blue Imported from USA) or a Gap sweatshirt (GAP Men’s Cotton Sweatshirt (12292879609_Pinot Noir 796_Large); watch by Giordano (Giordano Analog Rose Gold Dial Women’s Watch-2861-22) or Fossil (Fossil Q FTW2108 Marshal Digital Multi-Colour Dial Men’s Watch) or Armani (Emporio Armani Chronograph Off-White Dial Men’s Watch-AR2074I); fragrance by Hugo Boss (Hugo Boss Femme Eau De Parfum Spray for Women, 75ml) or Yves Saint Laurent (Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit De L’Homme Eau De Toilette Spray – 3.3-Ounce); and so on.
Does this bring us a sense of fulfilment that we seek through working on our outward appearance? Yes. It does. Because we are God’s own creation, and it is important to take care of ourselves. It is the least we can do. We – you – are beautiful the way we have been created. Now I ask again, if you could change your face, would you still want to?